Do you need new windows for your home? Interested in a particular style? There are different types of windows to meet every homeowner’s needs and aesthetic tastes.
To help with this process, it’s a good idea to consider the reasons you’re replacing your windows in the first place. Another good question to ask yourself is, “What are my top priorities?” Energy efficiency? Appearance? This will help you determine the right style for you.
Types of Windows
Here at Overhead Door Co. of Indianapolis & Muncie, we offer a variety of window types, including:
- Single-hung: Single-hung are common styles of windows. The lower sash slides vertically to open while the upper sash remains stationary.
- Double-hung: These windows are also found on many homes. Both sashes slide up and down and provide great ventilation.
- Casement: Single-sash windows that are hinged on one side, casement windows are energy-efficient due to the tight seal created between the sash and the frame.
- Awning: Awning windows are the same as casement windows except that they are hinged at the top (and have a more horizontal orientation).
- Sliding: Sliding, or slider, windows have a sash that glides horizontally to open and offer great ventilation.
- Bay and bow: Bay windows project outward from a home’s exterior—they are typically picture windows flanked by two or more smaller windows, usually casement or double-hung. Bow windows are like curved bay windows and add architectural character to your home’s exterior. Bay and bow windows are sometimes used just for aesthetic purposes!
Your needs will mainly drive the decision. Think about why you’re installing new windows. Are your priorities:
- Energy efficiency? Casement, awning, and bay windows (with casement flanker windows) are good options.
- Beauty? Try bay or bow windows! In fact, they are sometimes used solely for aesthetic purposes!
- Maintenance? Due to their design, double-hung windows are easy to clean.
- Safety? With double-hung windows, you can leave the upper sash open and bottom one closed—still getting that breeze but helping prevent safety hazards for children and pets.
Need Window Replacement Services in the Indianapolis Area?
If you need new windows for your home in central Indiana, contact Overhead Door Co. of Indianapolis & Muncie! Our experienced team offers high-quality vinyl replacement windows and can help you choose the right ones for your home, needs and aesthetic preferences!