There are many things to consider when choosing a new garage door for your home or business, from color and style to material types, but one of the most important is size.
If you’re building a new home or commercial building, you’re limited only by the products available in your area, but if you’re replacing an existing garage door, you’ll be constrained by the size of the current rough opening.
Garage Doors for Your Indianapolis Home
How large of a garage door do you need? It’s best to consult your garage door installer, but here are a few factors that can impact the size of your garage door:
- The rough opening: This is the framing that supports the garage door, and if it’s already built, you’ll be limited to those dimensions unless you do some costly remodeling.
- The size of your garage: The door should scale well to the size of your garage, with smaller doors for smaller buildings.
- Location: In an attached garage, there may be more limits to garage door size than in a stand-alone garage.
- The number and type of vehicles: If you have a tall SUV, a larger garage door will be required, while two or more vehicles may require a wide grade door or multiple doors.
Need help determining the best garage door size for your needs? Contact our experts today.
Standard Garage Door Sizes
At Overhead Door Co. of Indianapolis & Muncie, our residential garage doors are available in standard heights of 7 or 8 feet tall, and our standard widths include:
- 8 feet
- 9 feet
- 10 feet
- 12 feet
- 15 feet
- 16 feet
- 18 feet
- 20 feet
Sizes will vary by door series. Talk to our team at Overhead Door Co. of Indianapolis & Muncie to learn which series offer your required width and height options.
Commercial Garage Doors
Garage doors for commercial, industrial or agricultural applications tend to be much larger than residential garage doors. The size you need will depend on:
- The size of the opening and the building
- The equipment that will be stored or used in the building
- The opening necessary to receive trucks and deliveries
Our commercial doors are available in sizes equivalent to residential garage doors and larger sizes for shops, warehouses, or barns that need to service heavy equipment.
Our largest commercial doors can fit openings of up to:
- 30 feet wide
- 40 feet wide
- 41 feet wide
- 28 feet tall
- 32 feet tall
Side-folding security grilles have virtually no width limit.
Contact our team today to learn more about the commercial garage doors or security doors available for your application.
Residential & Commercial Garage Doors in Indiana
When you’re ready to order a new garage door for your central Indiana home or business, turn to our experts at Overhead Door Co. of Indianapolis & Muncie. We can walk you through your options and help you select the best garage door for your needs.
We offer professional garage door installations, as well as garage door repairs, maintenance, garage door opener services and 24/7 emergency service. We have over 90 years of service in the Indianapolis area, so you know you can count on us for quality work and exceptional service.
Call 317-489-0825 in Indianapolis, 765-215-2932 in Muncie or contact us online to start designing your garage door today.