Spring is well under way—in fact, summer is just around the corner! Have you taken on the dreaded task of spring cleaning? It may not be a fun way to spend the day, but it’s necessary, especially if you’re putting your house up for sale.
If you’re putting your house on the market and are getting ready to start the cleaning and pre-sale refurbishing process, you may want to start with the exterior. After all, the outside of your home is what buyers see first and can make a great first impression. There are obvious tasks to do—such as fixing broken shutters, repairing loose gutters, replacing missing roof shingles, etc.—but enhancing other features can also help improve the curb appeal and value of your home. The garage door is one of the best places to start!
Inspecting & Preparing Your Garage Door for Sale
Start by simply inspecting your garage door. For best results, have a garage door professional do a detailed inspection, but homeowners can do a surface-level inspection on their own. Use this quick checklist:
- Remove any dust, dirt or other residue from the garage door with household detergent and a soft cloth
- Check all the moving components of the door mechanism to make sure none are bent or broken (if there are parts that don’t look right, don’t attempt to fix them yourself)
- Examine and make a note of any cracks or gaps on the garage door that may have popped up due to inclement weather during the winter
- Check the weather seal at the bottom of the garage door
If you have broken parts, cracks or a broken weather seal—or any other problem that maybe you can’t detect right away—repair is required. You may even need to replace your door, but a garage door company will be able to help you find the best replacement option.
There are many other ways to enhance your garage door to increase your home’s curb appeal. Even if the door doesn’t need to be repaired or replaced, consider:
- Painting it
- Switching to another material (a new insulated garage door won’t necessarily add any visual enhancement, but it’s valuable in terms of the energy efficiency it can provide)
- Adding windows
- Adding decorative hardware such as hinges, handles, etc.
Need Garage Door Repair or Replacement in the Indianapolis Area?
Remember—annual inspections from garage door professionals will help you detect any minor problems and fix them before they turn into major ones. However, problems sometimes do arise unexpectedly—inclement weather, burglary, etc.—and repair or replacement is necessary. No matter what issue you’re experiencing with your garage door, we can help.
Contact Overhead Door Co. of Indianapolis & Muncie to learn more about garage door repair and replacement or if you think you may need professional garage door service!