You probably use your garage door as the main entrance to your home because it’s convenient. However, if the garage door opener isn’t working, you might have to park the car in the driveway and use the front door for a few days. If you’re wondering, “Why doesn’t my garage door opener work?” consider these possible reasons for equipment failure.
- The wall switch is broken: If the remote opens the garage door but the wall switch doesn’t work, you may need to replace the switch wires or the entire wall switch.
- The remote is broken: If the wall switch works but the remote doesn’t, change the batteries before you try anything drastic. You may need to buy a new remote or have a new receiver installed if changing the batteries doesn’t fix the problem.
- The safety sensors are faulty: If the door goes up with the remote by only lowers when you hold down the wall switch, the safety sensors may be misaligned or have gone bad. Once you determine that misalignment is not the problem, you should pursue having new sensors installed.
- The gear drive is shot: If you hear a grinding noise coming from the opener but the garage door doesn’t work, the gear drive is probably broken. This is one of the most common internal components to go bad in a garage door opener.
- The trolley carriage is broken: If the opener seems to operate but the garage door doesn’t move, you may need to have the trolley carriage replaced.
- The circuit board has gone bad: If the garage door doesn’t respond at all with either the wall switch or remote, the circuit board may be bad. A nearby lightning strike is a common reason circuit boards break. You may need to have a new one installed to fix the problem.
Garage Door Opener Repairs and Replacements in Indianapolis
No matter the reason your garage door opener has stopped working, you need a repair or replacement without delay. We recommend replacing garage door openers installed prior to 1993 for safety reasons. If your garage door is less than 20 years old, a repair is probably a viable option.
Now that you know why garage door opener may not be working, contact Overhead Door Co. of Indianapolis & Muncie today to set up an appointment.