Many homes, especially older ones, experience problems with window leaks. If you suspect your windows are leaking, find out more about how this happens, why it matters and when window replacement is necessary.
Why Are My Windows Leaking?
Windows are essentially panes of glass surrounded by a frame that fill in a hole in the wall. If everything isn’t just right, the window may start to leak. Common causes of window leaks include:
- Peeled or damaged caulk on the interior or exterior of the window
- Cracked or loose weatherstripping between the window and the frame
- Poor window installation
- Poorly installed or completely absent flashing tape
- Missing sealant or use of the wrong type of nails
Why Do Window Leaks Matter?
So your windows are a little leaky. Does it really matter? Usually the answer is yes, and here’s why:
- Water can get in when it rains, which can damage the windowsill and frame, especially if these are made of wood.
- Water also promotes mold growth, which can damage your home’s structural integrity and send your allergies into a frenzy.
- Air can seep in at all times, causing heating bills to rise in the winter and cooling bills to rise in the summer.
- Air leaks can introduce drafts that decrease home comfort.
Replacing Leaky Windows on Your Indianapolis Area Home
Air leaks caused by damaged caulk or weatherstripping are easy to fix. Simply remove the old products, clean and dry the window surface, and apply new caulk or weatherstripping. This is often enough to seal up a leaky window and solve the problem, but it’s not always the case.
If you attempt these do-it-yourself fixes to no avail, you could have a structural problem on your hands. Don’t allow leaky windows to increase your bills, make you less comfortable, damage your home and potentially cause mold problems. Instead, seek a window replacement from professionals.
Here at Overhead Door Co. of Indianapolis & Muncie, we offer vinyl replacement windows from American Window and Great Lakes Window, two top brands with decades of experience producing some of the finest vinyl windows on the market. An upgrade is sure to do away with your leaky windows and leave you with a comfortable, energy efficient home.
Now that you know the answer to the question, “Why are my windows leaking?” you can get to the bottom of it with more help from Overhead Door Co. of Indianapolis & Muncie! Contact us today to learn more.