So you’re planning on replacing your home’s old windows, which is great. Window replacement is a step in the right direction if you want to improve the year-round energy efficiency and comfort of your home. But how do you prepare your home? How long will the process take?
Home Preparation for Window Installation
Believe it or not, your part in the window replacement procedure can help the installers get the job done a little bit quicker and potentially reduce labor costs.
What can you do to help?
- Have a place for the crew’s vehicles.
- Clear a space in your yard for work equipment.
- Make sure there are no indoor obstacles (like furniture) that block access to the windows.
- Remove blinds and curtains (and wall decorations near the windows).
Also, feel free to put down old, ratty sheets or drop cloths in the area near the windows being replaced. Your crew will be professional, careful and courteous—and do a thorough clean-up job after the installation is complete—but there still may be a lot of dust and debris from sanding and stripping.
After the Installation
Preparing your home before replacement is important, but there are still some things to do after you have your new windows installed! After the job is done, it’s recommended to:
- Check the windows’ operation and locks right away and contact the installers if something doesn’t work correctly.
- Keep all your receipts and paperwork, including ENERGY STAR® and NFRC labels (and apply for rebates if eligible).
- Take proper care of your windows so they last as long as possible—add window maintenance to your to-do list.
- Recommend the company that installed your windows if you think they did a good job!
Window Replacement in the Indianapolis Area
Getting ready to replace your windows? It can be helpful to keep these tips in mind. If you’re not quite at that stage yet and are still looking for a company, the team at Overhead Door Co. of Indianapolis & Muncie would love to talk to you!
Contact us to learn more about our services.