If you need to install a new garage door, chances are you’ve been doing research, trying to find companies in your area. You want to hire the best installers, not some repairman who claims he’s experienced and will try to rip you off (this happens more often than you may think—but more on that later).
Taking the time to find a good company is the most important part—after all, a garage door is only as good as the installer.
How to Identify Good Companies
So how do you choose the best companies and weed out the scammers (or just plain bad companies)?
- Look for signs that confirm the company’s authenticity. While a “meet the team” section on their website or a picture of the outside of their office is nice, the more important thing to consider is their vehicles. Is the company’s name on their vehicles? A phone number? Beware of so-called company vehicles that don’t have any markings or signs that they are legitimate.
- Make sure the company is licensed. Hiring a company without the proper licenses (and insurance) is a disaster waiting to happen. You can be held liable for injuries, and that’s just the tip of the iceberg. A whole host of problems can arise from working with unlicensed, uninsured contractors. Check with your local consumer affairs office to make sure the company you hire is licensed.
- Ask for recommendations and see references. Asking a friend, family member, neighbor, etc. is always helpful. Also be sure to look for testimonials on a company’s website—and don’t hesitate to ask for references you can contact when you talk to the company. A reputable company will happily provide references.
Unfortunately, so-called garage door contractors try to rip off unaware homeowners. The Rossen Reports team actually conducted a hidden-camera investigation in suburban New York. The home included a garage with a door in good condition, as verified by two independent, certified experts. They rigged the door with a small problem. Equipped with a hidden camera, the homeowner called repair companies to inspect the garage, which was rigged with additional hidden cameras. According to the experts, a qualified repairman would require “about a minute” to fix the problem. The results were astounding.
The additional tips below can help you weed out the bad companies and ensure you hire the best of the best, but they aren’t necessarily deal breakers:
- Look at reviews and professional websites. If you want to select the absolute best companies, look at company testimonials, reviews on sites like Yelp, and websites like BBB (do they have an A+ rating?).
- Look for awards. Although not necessary, awards reflect stellar service and the company’s dedication to providing complete customer satisfaction. This can give you peace of mind when you hire them.
- Ask about specials and coupons. Installing a new garage door can be a pretty big investment. Does the company offer specials or coupons? This can make things a little less stressful!
- Check out the scope of their services. Do they offer just one service? Do they only install one type of door? A garage door company with experience installing different types of garage doors—from modern aluminum residential to commercial rolling—is more likely to have more experience and can be more convenient to work with.
Experienced Garage Door Installers Serving Indianapolis
If you’re looking for a good garage door company in the central Indiana area, consider Overhead Door Co. of Indianapolis & Muncie. Look around our website, do additional research and give us a call—we’re happy to answer any questions you have.
Contact us today to learn more about our services or to get started on your project!