You probably use your garage door every day, yet you never give it a second thought—until it stops working! Sometimes, a broken spring is the problem. Don’t worry—Overhead Door Co. of Indianapolis & Muncie is here to help! We offer fast, reliable garage door repairs, including repair and replacement of garage door springs.
If you think your garage door springs need servicing or your garage door has stopped working for another reason, please contact us online or call 317-489-0825 for our Indianapolis location or 765-215-2932 for our Muncie location. We’re available 24/7 for emergency services when needed.
Types of Garage Door Springs
Your garage door weighs hundreds of pounds. The purpose of garage door springs is to help the 1/2 horsepower garage door opener lift the door with ease. There are two types of garage door springs:
- A torsion spring runs parallel to the garage door. It’s located on the wall above the door and serves as a counterbalance, making it easy for the opener to lift the door.
- Extension springs run along the ceiling on either side of the garage door. With their location parallel to the track, they contract as the garage door lifts. This means the springs are under extreme tension when the door is closed.
Signs You Need Garage Door Spring Repair
Torsion and extension springs can only wind and unwind so many times before they fail. When a spring snaps, the garage door opener can no longer do its job. You might have a damaged or broken garage door spring on your hands if you notice these signs:
- The garage door doesn’t open or only opens slightly when you press the remote or wall switch. This indicates a broken spring. The garage door won’t work again until you have it fixed.
- The garage door struggles to open, moving slowly or making loud noises as it operates. This means the spring is on its last leg and could break at any moment.
- The coils on the spring appear stretched or irregular when the garage door is closed. These are weak points that could cause the spring to fail at any time.
Why Hire a Professional for Garage Door Spring Repair?
If you continue to operate your garage door when a spring is damaged, it could harm the door or the opener and turn into a much more expensive repair. Keep an eye on your garage door and look for signs of a failing spring. If you spot them, call a professional to perform a reliable repair.
NOTE: DIY garage door spring repair is not recommended. Thousands of non-professionals are injured every year attempting garage door repairs. Unless you have experience working with garage door springs, you should leave the work to a qualified professional.
Avoid putting yourself in harm’s way—call us today to schedule a safe, reliable garage door repair.
Schedule Garage Door Spring Repair in Indianapolis & Muncie
You can’t operate a garage door with a broken spring, so you’ll need to have it repaired before you can use it again. At Overhead Door Co. of Indianapolis & Muncie, we equip our repair trucks with extension springs of various sizes to increase the chance of completing the repair in a single visit. However, because torsion springs come in many different sizes, it’s likely we’ll clamp the broken spring to make it functional again and return in a few days with a custom ordered replacement spring. Either way, we’ll get your garage door up and running as quickly as possible!
Contact Overhead Door Co. of Indianapolis & Muncie any time of day or night to schedule garage door spring repair.