Are your windows in good shape? It may be time to give them a good cleaning before family and friends start visiting for the holidays!
But what is the best way to go about cleaning your windows? Nobody wants to have windows with unseemly streaks or a buildup of dirt. For your convenience, we’ve compiled some tips for cleaning your windows—from reputable manufacturers.
Quick Window Cleaning Tips
Cleaning is one of the most important parts of window maintenance and care, and just as important is the way you go about it. If you don’t clean your windows the right way, they won’t look very good!
- Do not use glass cleaners that are ammonia- or alcohol-based, and try to clean with a squeegee.
- Avoid citrus-based cleaners and paint removers.
- Start with the top windows and move down (you don’t want to drip the cleaning solution on the clean windows below).
- When you want to remove stickers or other marks that don’t come off easily, use a synthetic scraping tool instead (straight-edge metal blades can cause damage).
- Try not to let the cleaning solution dry on glass panes. Make sure you rinse thoroughly.
- Wipe in only one direction on the outside and the other direction on the inside of the window (this way, if there are streaks, you’ll know which side they are on).
- To wipe the windows dry, use a lint-free cloth.
- Dry the window frames and sills with a separate cloth.
It’s recommended to clean your windows at least twice a year.
Window Replacement in the Indianapolis Area
While you’re cleaning your windows, you may discover that they aren’t in the shape you thought they were. Perhaps you need window replacement. If this is the case, call your local window company—Overhead Door Co. of Indianapolis & Muncie, if you live in central Indiana!
Contact our experienced team to learn more about our vinyl replacement windows or to schedule a consultation for your project.