June is the start of a glorious summer and warm weather, but it also is “Garage Door Safety Month.” Although it’s now a great time to learn new garage door safety tips, remember—it’s important to practice proper garage door safety all year long, not just in June! Make sure you and your family members know how dangerous the garage door can be and ways to avoid these dangers.
The garage door is the largest moving part of your home—it’s also one of the hardest working parts, being raised and lowered an average of four times daily. And like any other area of the home, it requires regular maintenance and repair to keep it in good working order.
It’s the beginning of June—Garage Door Safety Month—so Overhead Door Co. of Indianapolis & Muncie is reminding homeowners that summer is a good time to perform garage door safety inspections, tune-ups and, if necessary, repairs.
Garage Door Safety Tips
A professional should inspect and make any repairs, but there are a few things that you can be on the lookout for on your own:
- Make sure your garage door opens and closes smoothly. If it doesn’t, it could indicate that the springing system needs to be changed or adjusted.
- Check for loose brackets on the garage door. Because they are under tension, they can cause serious injury if loosened or removed.
- Gauge the age of your garage door springs. They are also tightly wound and can cause damage or injury if they wear out and break. If you have extension springs, check that the safety cables are installed and in good condition.
- Check for frayed or worn cables.
- Make sure the opener’s automatic reversal is working. To test a garage door opener, place a roll of paper towels under the door and lower it. When the door hits the towels, it should reverse. If it doesn’t, have it checked.
- Teach children about garage door safety. Place the control switch for the opener at least five feet above the floor so that small children can’t reach it; remind them that the garage door opener is not a toy.
One thing that you should do this June—and every June—is contact a professional for a garage door checkup. This is the only way to know for sure that your garage door is in optimal condition and that your family is safe. An annual visit from a trained Overhead Door technician can keep your door operating safely and smoothly. Check out our specials and contact us to learn more!