You may not pay much attention to your garage door until it’s worse for wear and needs to be replaced or repaired. Or, someone wasn’t paying attention at all and—oops!—damaged the door with a vehicle. Moreover, you may need to replace your garage door when remodeling your home’s exterior with a new roof, windows and doors, siding or paint. After all, the garage door is an important aesthetic feature of many homes.
So, the big question hinges around the cost of garage door replacement. You don’t want it to be an eyesore, of course, and the material from which the garage door is made, the hardware, opener and installation costs factor in as well. Keep reading to learn what’s in store for a garage door replacement to please your eyes and your pocketbook.
Average Cost for Garage Door Replacement in Indiana
According to HomeAdvisor, the national average for a garage door replacement in 2018 is $1,067, with the typical range between $730 and $1,422. Also, you may be able to recoup most of the cost of the installation. Remodeling Magazine’s 2018 Cost vs. Value Report reports that, in the East North Central region (which includes Indiana), a $3,497 garage door replacement job has a cost recouped value of 96.6%.
There are a lot of factors that go into this expense, such as the ones outlined below:
Style & Design
The look and style of the garage door replacement primarily depends on your home’s exterior design. Do you want a traditional style, or do you need to browse scores of garage door designs to find just the right match for your contemporary home? Whether classic, rustic or a modern, bold design, there are a variety of choices available:
- Classic raised panel: Characterized by symmetrical and raised rectangular panels, classic garage doors offer many choices for size, materials and insulated options.
- Contemporary: Choosing the right contemporary garage door style with functional curb appeal, whether glass, fiberglass, steel, wood and/or aluminum, is essential for showcasing modern home styles.
- Carriage house: Carriage house garage doors exude a distinctive, rustic look and beautiful curb appeal, which perfectly complement mission style and craftsman style homes.
- Window options: Whether you want real windows or simulated windows on your garage doors, you have plenty of design options.
Garage Door Materials
You can achieve almost any look you want out of the different garage door materials available, whether aluminum, fiberglass, steel, wood, glass or a combination.
- Aluminum: Aluminum garage doors are generally the most cost-effective door material and still offer enduring protection in more caustic environmental conditions.
- Steel: For the widest range of colors, insulated, durability and pricing, you can’t beat steel garage doors. Choose from single-layer non-insulated doors up to premium three-layer insulated garage doors.
- Fiberglass: Offering the look of real wood without the maintenance load, fiberglass garage doors won’t rot, shrink, warp or crack.
- Wood: There is no substitute for the rich look and feel of wood. Though, you will encounter more maintenance for wood doors to factor into the lifetime costs of garage door replacement.
- Vinyl-clad: With a thick vinyl exterior, Overhead Door’s Durafirm Collection® garage doors are the ideal escape from wood door maintenance and steel door dent and rust.
Garage Door Openers
Your decisions don’t end with garage door materials and styles. Whether you want a no-frills opener with a couple of push-button remotes, a wall-mounted entry pad or a “smart” opener controlled via smartphone app, your choices are wide open. At Overhead Door Co. of Indianapolis & Muncie, we offer a variety of garage door openers for your home in Central Indiana.
As far as hardware, the opener’s motor horsepower (HP) typically runs from one-half HP to one and one-quarter HP. It depends on the width, weight and usage of your doors. As far as choosing between chain or belt drive, chain drives are stronger, but belt drives are quieter.
Installation, Warranties & Cost Estimates
Only work with a professional garage door company that offers good benefits. Obtain at least three estimates, and the estimates should be free. Lifetime warranties are available with through factory-certified installers, which is important.
Additionally, choose carefully and properly vet the company you invite to your home. Companies should be licensed and insured, provide references and offer experience in the type of project you require. You don’t want an amateur installing a garage door connected to home automation or if any resizing or electrical work is required.
Schedule Garage Door Replacement in Indianapolis & Muncie, IN
For comprehensive garage door replacement in Central Indiana, get in touch with Overhead Door Co. of Indianapolis & Muncie! We offer all of the garage door services you need at a price you can afford.
Please contact us by calling 317-489-0825 (Indianapolis) or 765-215-2932 (Muncie) to schedule your garage door replacement today!